Wikipedia defines a sequencer as device or application software that can record, edit, or play back music, by handling note and performance information in several forms, typically MIDI or CV/Gate, and possibly audio and automation data for DAWs and plug-ins. UZZ is a Max For Live device inspired in the step sequencer created by Len Sasso for Logic Audio environment.
Uss has always been a base for my creations. Now with Max For Live I had the opportunity to recreate one of my favorite machines. With only 16 steps you can create magical patterns, and changing a couple of parameters can rapidly mutate to a new level.
UZZ is a 16-step sequencer where you can adjust each parameter in every step independently. You can modify the following parameters:
- Init: Empty sequence.
- Mode: Play/Mute.
- Velocity: Range 0 – 127.
- Duration: Range 2 – 1000ms.
- Octave: -2 to +2, five eights.
- Two remote controls (control 1 and 2): 0 – 127.
- All parameters have a button to change the sequencer randomly.
Global parameters can be adjusted to modify a sequence:
- Transpose: Transposes the sequence: -24 to 24.
- Key Xpose ON: Activates midi notes input that will be affected by Transpose.
- Quantize: Quantize the sequence: 1/2, 1/4, 1/8,1/16, 1/32, Dotted and Triplets.
- Swing, Increases the Swing amount.
- Scale Select the type of scale (up to 19 different scales).
- Direction of the sequence: forward, backward. forward & backward.
- Steps: Selects the number of steps: 1 – 16.
- Presets options (load & save): load and save presets set. To record shift + click a blue circle; the orange circle indicates the preset where you are.
- Remote: Allows you to select any parameter in Ableton. Press list to display the devices in Ableton.
Bonus Mnml_Rack (DrumRack):
Mnml_Rack, has been created with some extracts of my live shows and sequences divided in portions proceeding from a Nord Modular G1. Each part of the drumrack corresponds to every eight of the Uzz, so you can create compositions with 5 kits of different drums.
Last Update 2.0
- Added a Key Pressed Button
- Redesing now the Uzz is more little.
- Minor Fixes and optimization
- Remove all the tabs, all is parameters are in the screen now.
- Added a mapeable control for presets.
- Added two Controls 3 and 4
- Added Matrix Modulation for control 1,2,3,4, Pitch and Velocity
- Now the Xpose button is the text.
- Now the Midi modulations are controller in the matrix section